What is a "Smart City"2018-06-23T09:46:25+00:00

Home Page Forums Urban Systems What is a "Smart City"

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Participant

We hear the term all the time “smart city” but there seems to be a lot of different ways to interpret that, what do you think

Colchester ProlfinJoss Colchester

Good question! I think it is often a term used by IT and consulting companies to sell specific technological fixes to difficult sociotechnical challenges – but there is certainly more to it than that. Cities are complex systems with an incredible amount of coordination required for their functioning, our current solutions enable a very limited form of domain-specific coordination that happens largely within siloes. The connectivity that IT enables could take the coordination of urban systems to a qualitatively new level by realizing whole systems cross-domain coordination. For me that is what the smart city is about, using IT to enable a much more complex form of coordination required to truly manage cities as whole systems and I think that is what is required to actually deal with the massive process of urbanization that we are currently going through and create sustainable results.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.